Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Santa Barbara Triathlon Race Report


I still hate writing race reports. I just want to say, “it was fun, the end” but I  will try to rehash the day without being too boring. Here we go…

I love doing local races not only for the convenience factor but also because there are so many familiar faces at the race. A great part of the trip was the generous home stay offered by Adrienne and Jason. They were also housing another female athlete, Christine, who happened to be the overall winner last year. I was in good company and we enjoyed an amazing pre-race feast at their house and talked a little about the course and strategy before going to bed for our 4am wake up call!

The morning routine went as usual and I was feeling good. I had decided to race in the elite/pro division for this race as a way to test my fitness but also test my restraint since that will be the key to a good race in Kona. I really just wanted to see where my fitness was and test out my new bike fit (courtesy of Jim at FinalFit).

I haven’t done a beach start swim in years and I knew that I would probably not be able to hang with the elite crowd in the swim. I was right. I hung onto the back of the pack til about the 3rd buoy but then it seemed like everyone disappeared. I was left to swim the rest of the way alone. It’s easy to get into a negative place when you are swimming alone in the ocean chasing people you can no longer see. I had moments of thinking “this is stupid, I should probably quit.” I quickly refocused though and reminded myself that I knew I was going to be slower in the swim and to concentrate on the fact I was actually swimming well for my ability.

When I got into T1 I was happy to see there were still some bikes there and Christine was just exiting so that meant I wasn’t too far behind.  As I mounted my bike a volunteered yelled, “be careful it’s slick out there.” UGH, not what I wanted to hear. I was a little worried about the technical aspect of the course and rain was not going to make things better. I took the first 10 miles probably too conservatively but I was alone out there and actually having a hard time seeing out of my dark glasses (note to self: bring clear lenses in case it rains).

Despite the annoying rain I LOVED this bike course. It was not nearly as hilly or technical as I thought it would be and it was just FUN! The time seemed to fly by and around mile 25 I caught Christine. I couldn’t believe it as I never catch people on the bike; I always have to run them down and that was my plan for today too. This totally changed my mood as I realized I was in the game now. Her and I jockeyed back and forth for the next few miles until we came up on a female pro from Australia. Christine and I both favored her to win as she was a “real” pro and also an ITU girl so we figured she had the speed us long course girls might be lacking. When we caught her I was pumped! Now the 3 of us were in a full on race for the next 4 miles. Nobody was letting up and we arrived at the dismount line together. I heard someone yell, “ladies and gentlemen we have a race on our hands.” The dismount line was also hilarious b/c the night before Christine and I were both joking that we still run in our bike shoes (like newbies). Of course the girl from Australia dismounted her bike like a pro and Christine started laughing as her and I tried chasing her in our bike shoes. I really do need to work on this along with my transition as I came out of T2 far behind both girls.

I caught up to Christine and soon I could see the Australian not too far ahead. I realized I could probably catch her and still keep the conservative pace I had planned for the first few miles. I caught her around the first mile and took the lead! I was expecting her to challenge but she didn’t and by mile 2 I could no longer see her over my shoulder. Shit I really had a solid lead but with 8 more miles to go I was so nervous I would screw it up! The rest of the run went by quickly and was so much fun as people were constantly cheering and shouting, “you’re the first female.” I don’t think I have ever smiled that much during a run! I was still running scared though and didn’t want to get too comfortable as the fear of losing it in the end haunted me (i.e. Wildflower earlier this year). Around mile 8 I asked a guy if there were any girls in sight and he told me no that I had it. At that point I felt I could finally enjoy the idea that I was going to be the overall female winner! Coming down the finisher’s chute with so many cheering friends around was awesome too!

In the end this is obviously not a big race, but it gave me confidence that the training I have been doing since IM CDA is working and more importantly that we finally nailed my bike fit (again thanks to Jim Manton)!

After the race I was hoping to stick around for the after parties that night but I had a 5 hour ride looming the next day (thanks coach) so I headed home to get some rest. Only a few more weeks til Kona and then there will be plenty of time to celebrate!





No comments:

Post a Comment