Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ironman CDA 2012



For those who know how this race unfolded for me last year, I was coming back with some unfinished business to handle. The big goal was Kona, although I was hoping to win my age group and improve on my top 10 overall amateur finish. Only one of those 3 things happened this year, and thankfully it was the most important one!

Jim graciously came out as my sherpa again this year and we stayed at a great bed and breakfast that was recommended to us by a fellow triathlete, Alex Garcia. We were 1 block from the race start and in a house amongst friends and fellow athletes. I couldn’t have asked for a better set up.

Race morning it seemed that the storm we were expecting was going to blow over and we would have great conditions for the race. The water temperature was still freezing (around 55 degrees) but warmer than last year so I wasn’t concerned.

A funny thing happened as I stepped onto the sand to line up for the start. I looked at the spectators, volunteers and all of the kayaks waiting for us on the lake and I started to get choked up! I NEVER cry at anything (funerals, weddings, movies, nothing ever gets me). What was happening? I was just overcome with this feeling of how much I love racing. It was amazing and it totally validated all of the pain, sacrifice, time and money spent. I do it all because I love it!

When the gun went off I had a good clean start and was relieved thinking I had managed a pretty pain-free entry. Boy was I wrong. Not only did the typical mass-start melee ensue but we were swimming against horrible current, chop and wind. Every time I tried to breath I got a mouthful of water. I literally stopped 7 times before the first buoy b/c I was swallowing so much water. This is not the type of swim performance that wins races. I was trying not to panic and actually had to have a few talks with myself to pull it together. Soon the nausea started to set in from the chop and the amount of water I was swallowing. After rounding the first turn buoy I threw up! WTH?? That’s certainly a new one for me! As we exited the water to start the second loop I was afraid to check my split given how horrible things had gone. I was surprised to see 32 minutes. Not fast but not horrible, all things considered. My goal was 1:05 and this split meant that was still possible, or so I thought. The second loop proved to be worse than the first. Although I was no longer battling the masses, the current and chop had picked up significantly. I was swallowing huge amounts of water and couldn’t sight due to the waves that were now rolling in. I got off course a little on the way into the finish that cost me precious time, which was obvious in my final split of 1:08. Ouch. I knew everyone had to deal with the rough conditions, so I sucked it up and headed to T1.

The first part of the bike was cold and raining. Not the best thing after spending over an hour in 55-degree water. But I was happy to be on my bike and have 1 leg of the race behind me. Things were going well until roughly mile 25 when the straw to my speedfil slipped out of position, wrapping through my spoke and around my skewer! Thankfully I was going uphill at the time so I was able to quickly clip out before crashing. Had I been going any faster it would have been a disaster. Although I was pissed that I had to stop I figured I would fix it and be on my way. However, the neoprene part of the straw was wrapped so tightly in my skewer I couldn’t get it out. I stood there for what seemed like an eternity trying to rip that stupid thing out. I tried to keep my cool but I couldn’t believe this was happening. Eventually I got it out and was back on my way. I decided I shouldn’t try to catch up to the people I was with before or I might blow up and pay for it later. I was also afraid of drinking any water, as I didn’t want the straw to slip again and cause a more serious problem, so I tucked the end of the straw into my bento box to try to keep it in place.  I had been taking salt every 20 minutes and it was time for my next dose but as I opened my bento box to get a salt pill that stupid straw flicked my bag of salt into the air and it was gone. OMG. What else is going to go wrong?  Luckily I had put extra salt in my special needs bag and even though I planned on not stopping at special needs, at least I knew I could get more salt!
The rest of the first loop went smoothly and I clocked in right around my goal time of 2:45 (hoping for a 5:30 bike split). The head wind had picked up a lot on the second loop and I knew I was slowing down. Around mile 80 I suddenly got super nauseous again. I felt like my nutrition was spot on so I attributed it to all of the lake water I had swallowed earlier. From miles 80-92 I was miserable!! I had to back way off my power as I debated whether I should puke and get it over with or try to figure out how to stop it. I chose the later and  began to ride slower, take in more water and hope for the best. Around mile 92 or so I magically felt better and instantly was able to increase my power back to my goal wattage; however the time I had lost was significant. Final bike split was 5:45. My big limiter is still the bike. No matter how much stronger I seem to get in training I have never had a good bike split in a race. It’s so frustrating!!! Gotta figure this out.

Heading onto the run I knew I had to make up time. The girl who would eventually take 2nd place BLEW past me at mile 75 so I knew she had a huge gap on me. Coming out of T2 there was another girl (in a different AG) about 200 yards ahead. I caught her pretty quickly and the 2 of us ran the next 6 miles together. She turned out to be great company and motivation and since we were 2 of only a few girls on the course and were running side-by-side the spectators were going crazy. We got so much motivation from the crowd it was great! We were running faster than my goal pace (averaging about 7:15-7:20/mile) but I had decided I was just going to go fast while I felt good and hope I didn’t blow up later. I was feeling the best I had ever felt coming off the bike until mile 12-13. Then I just got tired. Nothing hurt and my nutrition was fine I was just plain tired. I decided to try drinking some coke. This was risky b/c I never drink soda in real life and I am really sensitive to caffeine but it worked! The combo of coke and water was like a magic pill. All of a sudden my pace was back and I was no longer considering giving up triathlon (during miles 12-15 I had decided triathlons were dumb and this was going to be my last). Around mile 17 Jim yelled at me and told me to pick it up b/c this was the moment I had been training for and I couldn’t let it slip away. It really helped get me back into a competitive mindset. The last half mile of this course is like non-other. Not only is it a downhill finish but also it is through the main drag of downtown and the streets are lined with spectators on their feet, at local bars, and in the stands. Coming down Sherman Way there were 3 other guys and myself. I passed 2 of them and then I was just enjoying the last few minutes of the race. At that point a woman seated at a bar along the course yelled, “ Go girl, pass that guy.” It may have been bad sportsmanship on my part but I took off. As I passed him the crowd erupted and started going crazy. It was hysterical. Who knew the last few minutes of a 140-mile race could be so fun? I crossed the finish line all smiles not knowing how I had placed but knowing that I had done the best I could do on that day. It wasn’t until I saw Jim a few minutes later that I found out I placed 3rd and possibly had a Kona slot. At that point it was just icing on the cake. That night we went back to the finish line around 10:30 and stayed till midnight to watch the last finishers come through. It was a magical thing to witness and I wish I hadn’t waited all of these years to experience it. The vibe and the emotions there were unlike anything else. It was truly a great end to a great day.

Of course the looming question was Kona. I wouldn’t officially know till the morning if I was in. I felt like I had a good shot since there were 4 slots last year but they also decreased the total number of slots this year from 75-50. It was a total guessing game and I didn’t want to play. I just waited till 9am Monday morning and solemnly approached the award area to see the final results. I almost threw up (again) when I saw 3 spots for my division! I made it! I really didn’t want to get a roll down slot, as I wanted to feel like I had earned the spot 100%. In the end I didn’t win and my overall placement was lower than last year but I achieved the big goal!

I have a lot of work to do between now and October and the thought of doing another Ironman this year is frightening. I have to figure out a lot of things in the next few months (mainly why I still can’t ride a bike fast) but I know I can do it with the help of my coach, Joanna Zeiger.  I owe her a huge thank you for all of the time and effort she has put into coaching me, it has certainly paid off! I would also like to thank my newest sponsor, TriBike Transport for making the logistics of racing a lot easier this year. I hope I never have to take my bike on a plane again!

No comments:

Post a Comment